Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Winter 2010 Edition -- Jamie Made My Day

Hola, everybody!

Do you ever get that magical feeling? That one when you find someone to totally fantard out with? Well, I did last night. Funny thing was, I've been great friends with this guy since the 3rd grade! Yeah we have lots in common and we could talk about some nerdy stuff, but last night was just amazing.

I lent him my Dragon Ball Z season sets last week on the condition that he give it a shot in Japanese. That's how I like my Dragon Ball, folks. Deal with it.

From his mouth (erm...fingers...it was a text message), " So I watched the first two episodes. 1. Japanese is 10X better!..."

He then went on to use proper names like "Son Gohan" and the like. Hearing *cough*reading*cough* things like that just bring a smile to my face. Finally, another person that I can enjoy the magic that is Japanese Dragon Ball with.


That's how it should be watched!!!

I can honestly say I did not expect Jamie to get into it in Japanese since we both started watching the dub on Toonami and that's all he was ever exposed to. Well, that's not true, my copy of Dragon Ball GT Final Bout that we played all the time had Japanese voice samples for the actual fighting lol.

He's only two episodes in through all 291 that I lent him, so this'll be a fun journey!

2 comments:

  1. DBZ is not my thing (anymore!! I used to love it, I don't dislike it now, just not the raging fan I was, haha) -- but man, I'm sort of an anime snob. I can't stand almost all animes that are dubbed... even the "good dubs" to me usually mean "tolerable." I always always always pick the original language in anything foreign...

    plus the DBZ dub was spectacularly awful. HFIL? Hercule??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. If I originally watched the dub, I usually stick with it (Dragon Ball and Blue Seed need not apply, those are far too awful), but as I get new shows or stuff I've never seen before, I find the dubs really cheesy and just...sub par. So now I think I watch more stuff subbed than I watch stuff dubbed.

    With how you feel about DBZ, I totally understand. I was a super hardcore fan, then just a casual fan, now more of a fan than anyone probably should be :p Really watching the show in Japanese completely changed my fandom of both the series and anime in general and it really is a whole different beast in Japanese. There's just...so much substance to it that way. *shrugs* Maybe I'm wrong and just a dumb idiot, but whatevs :3

    Oh, and saying, "What the HFIL?" from time to time is hilarious. Spring it on me one time and see me burst into tears of laughter ;)

    ReplyDelete