Sunday, January 24, 2010

Randy's Adventures in Anime - Winter 2010 Edition - Finally Getting Somewhere

Hey there everyone!

Okay so I did it. I got somewhere. I finally finished The Slayers TRY! *trumpets, confetti, assorted fanfare* Slayers TRY is the third series in the epic saga of Lina Inverse, a black magician and the friends she meets along the way and their adventures to get rich...and save the world occasionally.

I got through a good chunk on Friday during commutes and downtime thanks to my awesome Zune HD. I'd ripped a couple of discs and slapped on there for just those occasions. I finished episode 25 on the way home and consequently watched the finale on the couch snuggled under a blanket. And this is where The Slayers TV series came to a close...in 1997. Since then there has been two more Slayers series, one in 2007 and another in 2008. The next season set of those comes out on my birthday (March 16th) and the other set is yet to be announced for its arrival. Luckily, the awesome people at FUNimation have all the episodes of the two newest seasons/series Slayers Revolution and Evolution-R on their site for free viewing.

I will be buying the DVDs though. $45 just seems kinda steep for 13 episodes that I don't really need ASAP and can wait for a collected set of the two a while down the road for cheaper. (This coming from the guy that DOES put down the $45 for each 12-13 episode set of One Piece.)

All in all Slayers TRY was AMAZING and is probably my favorite series of them all so far. Hilarious humor, wonderful story, great characters, brilliant effects and battles, I could go on and on. The scope of this series is just amazing and traveling with Lina and company is always a fun adventure.

[This series was watched completely through in Japanese.]

Afterward, I opened up my copy of Tenchi Muyo! GXP and gave that a watch. Even though the original characters only make cameo appearances in one episode, I am still upset that the original English cast was not brought back. So I popped it in and started the series in Japanese and am loving it. It's directed by Shinichi Watanabe (the man behind Excel Saga) and is very good. In fact, I'm liking it even more than OVA 3 which came out just a couple years afterward. But maybe I should have watched OVA 3 in Japanese since, even though most of the original English cast (Most means it excludes Petrea Burchard, pretty much the one that really makes or breaks the series) came back for that one it seemed like the magic was just gone with them.

On that Tenchi Muyo! GXP note...

I ordered it from RightStuf for quite a bargain. It was originally $89.99 for the box and I nabbed it for about $24. NICE! Everything seemed okay until I put the box on my shelf and felt something odd; the bottom of the art box had a sizable dent.

Yeah, I emailed them asking what we could do about that. Yes, it may seem petty, but when it comes down to it I'm a collector trying to really get a solid library going and the case matters just as much as the media itself. If you bought a new car and it had a dent or scratch, you could settle for it since it doesn't affect the cars ability to drive, but it's labeled as mint condition and I'm getting what I paid for.

Rather than recount it all, here's the email exchanges...



Hello Randy-
I'm sorry to hear about that.

Unfortunately, your picture was a little blurry, but I was able to see what you meant. Also, it appears that this item is a Bargain Bin item, and per our Bargain Bin Policy (found on our site at http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/customerService/FAQs/#Bargain): "Even though they are new, previously unowned items, some may have been lightly scratched and/or scuffed during the return process. Below is a list of some of the possible flaws an item may have:
  • scratched case or cover
  • a wrinkle in the cover
  • a dented case corner
  • the item may be a single volume from a multi-volume set

Item listings in the Bargain Bin are not specifically noted with every possible handling issue. Structurally, each item is in excellent condition prior to shipping, with no loose discs, for example. Collectors should be warned that, due to these extreme price cuts, "mint condition" cannot be guaranteed for Bargain Bin items.


Please Note: Sales from the Bargain Bin are final with no returns accepted for the cosmetic conditions listed above. If you feel you have received an item that is damaged beyond the above conditions, please see our Returning Merchandise Policy.


From what I can tell on the picture it looks to be a pretty good size dent. Even though all Bargain Bin sales are final as it states above, I might be able to persuade someone to allow me to set up an exchange, but I can't guarantee that your replacement copy will be in better condition.


Just let me know what you would like to do.


Thank you,

Brandon B.


And here's me back...


Ah, well its good to know for the future. Unfortunately, for that series, I had a choice between that and the shoddily packaged Viridian Collection edition that is infamously known for being easily damaged.

I do apologize for the blurry picture, but that was the best of the batch in trying to show the dent as the gloss of the box resulted in glare that would often interfere with what I was trying to display.

If you could, that would be great. I do most of my anime shopping through RightStuf and am always impressed with both the items I obtain and the level of service you provide. If it's doable, then lets do it. Considering neither you nor I will know the condition of the set until it arrives, can we do something along the lines of you sending the new set with a return box and I can send back the undesired one? I know that takes trust on your part and if you can't do that, I completely understand. I just think that would make us both happy in the end; I get the set in the most pristine condition possible and you don't hear any more complaints from me, heh.

Thanks for all your help and assistance, Brandon.

Randy Thompson
Minnesota


And here's their response...


Hello Randy-
OK, I pulled some strings and was able to convince a supervisor to let me send you a replacement. I have the replacement set up for you to be processed and hopefully shipped on Monday or Tuesday. I also noted the replacement to pick the best available copy we have in the warehouse.

As for the one you have, you can go ahead and dispose of it or do whatever you want with it.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.



Thank you,
Brandon B.


Is this guy freaking amazing or what? I don't think I've had this level of awesome from any customer service ever. This guy deserves a medal. RightStuf, you are all fantastic and I'm so glad to do business with you. It never hurts to ask, eh? (Or the fact that I've bought a few hundred bucks of DVDs from them in the past year.)

Other than all of that, not too much in my adventures (Though I'd say that Friday was an adventure in itself.)

What's will be new this week? Only time will tell. Will I burn through GXP? Will I get sidetracked with a game or some other series? If I do, you'll be the first to know!

Later, and thanks for reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment